The Excelsior Scholarship, with other student financial aid programs, permits students to attend a SUNY or CUNY college tuition-free. The program takes care of tuition for qualified SUNY and CUNY students. For the 2022-23 academic year, families that have made $125,000 or less than that in the tax year 2020 are eligible to apply. Read through for more information on this topic.
The Excelsior Scholarship Eligibility
An applicant must:
1. Be residing at NYS and must have resided in NYS for 12 constant months previous to the beginning of the term;
2. Be a U.S. citizen or qualified non-citizen;
3. have finished school in the United States, gotten a high school equivalency diploma, or have passed a federally approved “Ability to Benefit” test, as stipulated by the Commissioner of the State Education Department;
4. It its is important you have a federal adjusted gross income of $125,000 or less;
5. Be currently be an undergraduate at a SUNY or CUNY college, as well as community colleges and the statutory colleges at Cornell University and Alfred University;
6. Be registered in at best 12 credits per term and complete at least 30 credits yearly (successively), applicable toward his or her degree program through continuous study with no break in registration excluding for certain reasons that can be documented;
7. If attended college previous to the 2022-23 academic year, have gotten at least 30 credits each year (successively), applicable toward his or her degree program aforementioned to applying for an Excelsior Scholarship;
8. Be in a non-default status on a student loan made under any NYS or federal education loan program or on the repayment of any NYS award;
9. Must comply with the terms of the service condition that is imposed by any NYS award that you have previously received; and
10. Execute a Contract agreeing to reside in NYS for the length of time the award was received, and, if employed during such time, be employed in NYS.
The Amount to be Given
The Scholarship covers any outstanding gap in tuition expenses, after other federal and state grants and scholarships are applied, up to $5,500.
To know the award amount, the tuition amount that is charged is first brought down by the over-all dollar amount given from other student financial aid awards for the academic year, plus a NYS Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) award and/or federal Pell grant.
The Excelsior Scholarship will take care of any remaining tuition expenses up to $5,500. In situation where tuition expenses surpass the overall financial aid a recipient is awarded, a tuition credit will be applied to the remaining balance.
The Duration For the Reward
As a recipient of the scholarship, you will get an award payment below two years of full-time undergraduate study which eventually lead to an associate degree or maybe a four years full-time undergraduate study or five year if the program of study need s five years in a program leading to bachelor’s degree
Catching up on Credits
Any candidate who is not on track to finish an Associate’s degree in two successive years or Bachelor’s degree in four successive years (which needs completion of the same of 30 credits each academic year) can catch up on missing credits to become eligible to apply for an Excelsior Scholarship.
If you successfully earn additional credits during a term or academic year and get back on track to completing your degree on time, you must reapply to be eligible to receive an Excelsior Scholarship for the remainder of your undergraduate degree program.