Are you considering studying at the University of Ghana? Discover what this prestigious institution has to offer, including programs, facilities, and admission requirements.
University of Ghana
The University of Ghana, a premier school of higher learning in West Africa, is in Legon. That is a suburb of Accra, the capital of Ghana.
The University College of the Gold Coast was the name used when the University of Ghana was first established in 1948.
However, the institution’s name was modified to commemorate Ghana’s 1961 declaration of independence from British colonial rule.
Is the University of Ghana an Accredited University?
Yes, the University of Ghana is an accredited university. It has received accreditation from Ghana’s government Accreditation Board (NAB).
That is a government organization tasked with maintaining the caliber and standards of Ghana’s higher education institutions.
The college belongs to a variety of international organizations, including the Association of African Universities, the Association of Commonwealth Universities, and the United Nations Academic Impact. And all bolster its reputation for educational achievement.
Academic Programs and Research
In several disciplines, including the humanities, social sciences, natural sciences, and business, the University of Ghana offers a comprehensive selection of undergraduate and graduate degrees.
Law, medicine, engineering, and business administration are among the university’s most well-liked programs.
The college also offers a number of multidisciplinary degrees in areas like gender studies, development studies, and African studies.
With a strong emphasis on research, the organization has developed research centers and institutions that carry out cutting-edge research in numerous areas, tackling local and global concerns.
Applicants must satisfy specific academic and language standards. And this standard will consider them for admission to the University of Ghana.
For undergraduate programs, applicants must have a West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) with at least six credits, including credits in English, mathematics, and science.
Candidates for graduate programs must hold a bachelor’s degree from an approved university with a minimum GPA of 3.0.
The results of a recognized language proficiency exam, such as the TOEFL, IELTS, or another one, must also be submitted by applicants whose first language is not English as proof of their English language proficiency.
The application process for the University of Ghana is conducted online through the university’s admissions portal.
1. Get the University of Ghana online application E-VOUCHERS for GH¢220.00 from any of these banks:
- Access Bank,
- Republic Bank,
- Agricultural Development Bank,
- Ghana Commercial Bank,
- Zenith Bank,
- Universal Merchant Bank,
- The Consolidated Bank Ghana (CBG),
- The Prudential Bank, and Fidelity Bank.
2. All mobile telecommunication networks support the USSD code 88718# for purchasing E-VOUCHERS.
3. WASSSCE/SSSCE Applicants and Ghanaians with Foreign Backgrounds should apply using the E-VOUCHER.
4. After purchasing the E-VOUCHER, applicants should carefully follow the instructions given and keep the E-VOUCHER in a safe place.
Diploma/HND and Degree Applicants
1. After buying the E-VOUCHER, Diploma/HND to Degree applicants should scan and attach the Diploma/HND transcripts.
Also the certified copies of ‘O’ and ‘A’ Level certificates/result slips, and pay-in-slips to their online application forms.
2. The certificates and result slips must be scanned into a single Word or PDF document and then attached to the application.
International Students and Ghanaians Applying from Abroad
1. International applicants and Ghanaians applying from abroad should use the following link to access the online application form for completion and submission.
2. The University will receive US$110.00 as a non-refundable application processing fee from each applicant.
3. You can make the payment through Ecobank or Credit Card on the GT payment platform.
4. Scan the pay-in slips, certificates, and result slips before submitting the application form online. And it should be in a single PDF or Word document.
Keep in mind that no application will be complete without evidence of fee payment.
Campus Life and Culture
Students at the University of Ghana can learn, network, and grow personally in a supportive environment thanks to the university’s active campus life.
With a diverse student population from various parts of Africa and beyond, the institution promotes cultural exchange and inclusivity.
The campus is home to cutting-edge buildings like libraries, labs, sports facilities, and lodging options.
Impact on West African Education
The University of Ghana has been crucial in influencing West Africa’s educational system.
With a legacy of producing influential leaders and scholars, the institution has contributed significantly to the development of the region.
Numerous of its graduates hold influential positions in businesses, the government, and civil society groups, having a positive influence in their specialized sectors.
The University of Ghana has programs available whether you want to work in business, medicine, engineering, or the humanities.
So why not apply today and see for yourself what this prestigious institution has to offer?