If you want to study marine engineering, one of the first questions you should ask is which institutions in Nigeria and Ghana offer the course. You’ll also want to know profitable a career in this field is and so forth.
This article will give you a detailed overview of marine engineering and help you decide if it’s the course for you.
What is marine engineering?
The subject of marine engineering is concerned with the design, innovation, construction, and maintenance of seagoing boats and navigational equipment.
Marine engineers are primarily concerned with the design and manufacture of internal systems for boats, ships, and submarines. They work on propulsion systems, auxiliary power machinery, and maintenance equipment. Working on-board to maintain these systems is also part of their technical responsibility.
On-board systems such as steering or control systems are designed by marine engineers.
- Vehicle propulsion systems (gas turbine, diesel engine, or nuclear reactor)
- Electrical and mechanical systems
How many years to study marine engineering?
While it depends on your entry mode, it takes about 3 to 4 years to study marine engineering in universities or other schools.
Where can marine engineers work?
Marine engineers basically work on water vessels. It could be a military ship, oil rigs, smaller ships and passenger boats, submarines, etc.
How much do marine engineers make?
The average salary marine engineers earn is N400,000. In Ghana, you can an average of 4,430 GHC per month.
Schools to study marine engineering
- Federal University Of Petroleum Resources (FUPRE)
- Niger Delta University (NDU)
- Akwa Ibom State University Of Science and Technology (AKUTECH)
- Rivers State University Of Science and Technology (RSUST)
- Stars Maritime Academy (SMA) Lagos
- Merchant Navy Maritime Academy (NNMA)
- Marine Academy Of Nigeria, Oron
- Global Maritime Academy Nigeria (GMAN)
- Delta State School of Marine Technology, Burutu, Delta State, Nigeria
- Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology, Kumasi
- Regional Maritime University, Accra