Discover the various degree programs, research opportunities, and practical training offered at Regional Maritime University. Learn how this institution prepares students for a successful career in the maritime industry.
Regional Maritime University
A public institution in Ghana with a focus on marine education and training is called a Regional marine institution (RMU).
Since its inception in 1958, the institution has expanded to include a variety of undergraduate and graduate degrees. That is in subjects like shipping and port management, marine engineering, and maritime law.
With an emphasis on creating sustainable marine policies and practices that benefit Ghana and the larger African area, the university has a strong commitment to research and innovation.
Is Regional Maritime University Private or Public?
Accra, Ghana’s Regional Maritime University (RMU) is a public university. The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) established it in 1983 to provide education and training in the maritime sector to students from ECOWAS member countries.
The university’s accreditation by the National Accreditation Board of Ghana is to offer undergraduate and postgraduate programs in various disciplines related to the maritime industry.
How Can I Get Admission to Regional Maritime University?
Regional Marine University (RMU) is a fantastic alternative if you want to pursue a degree in the marine sector. There are requirements and application processes you must follow in order to get admitted to the institution.
To gain admission to an undergraduate program at RMU, you must meet the following requirements:
1. Have a minimum of six credit passes (including English, Mathematics, and Science) in the West African Senior School Certificate Examination (WASSCE) or its equivalent.
2. Have a minimum of three passes in the General Certificate of Education (GCE) Advanced Level, including Mathematics and Physics, or its equivalent.
3. Pass the RMU entrance examination.
For RMU to consider you for admission to a postgraduate program, you must meet the requirements listed below:
1. Own a Bachelor’s degree from an approved university in a relevant field.
2. Have at least two years of related work experience.
3. Submit a research proposal (for research-based programs).
How to Apply
Follow the procedures below;
All applicants must use the Regional Maritime University [RMU] online (E- VOUCHER SERVICE) application process for admissions. The process for submitting an online application is as follows:
Make the proper payment at one of the RMU E-Voucher sales centers as described below:
Programs for BSc.: GH 160.00 or $50.00
- Cash Office, Regional Maritime University, Nungua-Accra.
- All the Ghana Commercial Bank’s branches.
1. The E-Voucher contains the Serial Number and Pin needed to start the online form.
2. Shortly after making a payment, go to the University’s online admissions portal to access the online form.
3. Students must click “APPLY” to start the online application process. The applicant must submit a passport-size photo.
4. A completed form is not taken into account until it has been SUBMITTED.
5. Before submitting their online applications, applicants are to carefully review all of the information they have provided. Once submitted, a form may only be seen and you cannot change it.
6. Applicants must print out their application summary and attach all necessary supporting documentation, including transcripts and certificates. The Academic Registrar should get these materials.
7. Candidates are highly encouraged to contact courier services in their home countries for help with the application materials’ return [see 6].
8. The application documents should go to the address as indicated in  above:
The Registrar of Students, Regional University of the Sea, Postal Code GP 1115, Ghana’s Accra.
1. Visit the admissions website.
2. Select International Applications, then fill out the form according to the directions on the page.
3. Applicants must print out the application summary and attach all necessary papers, including transcripts and certificates. The Academic Registrar should get these materials.
Students can select from a variety of undergraduate and graduate programs at RMU. This is to give them the information and abilities necessary to excel in the marine sector.
These programs include Marine Engineering, Nautical Science, Port and Shipping Administration, and Environmental Management and Sustainability.
The institution also offers short courses and professional development programs for individuals seeking to enhance their skills and knowledge in specific areas.
RMU places a high priority on research and innovation, and as a result, the institution provides students with a variety of research opportunities.
The research center at RMU partners with top universities and research organizations throughout the world and has cutting-edge facilities and technology.
The marine environment, port management, maritime security, and maritime technology are just a few of the many areas in which students might do research.
The educational approach at RMU includes practical training, and students have access to a variety of facilities and tools to improve their skills and knowledge.
The MV Anzone, a training vessel owned by the college, is to give students practical instruction in ship operation, navigation, and other maritime-related tasks.
RMU also offers well-equipped workshops for technical training in engineering and other fields, and students can take part in industry-based training programs like internships.
The maritime industry is a global and rapidly growing industry, and RMU graduates are highly sought after by employers across the globe.
Graduates can pursue jobs in a variety of fields, including ship management, port operations, maritime law, marine surveying, and offshore oil and gas, using the information and skills they have acquired via the institution’s curricula and practical training.
With a range of degree programs, research opportunities, and practical training available, RMU is an excellent choice for individuals seeking to enhance their skills and knowledge in the maritime industry.
If you’re interested in pursuing a career in this exciting field, RMU should be at the top of your list.