Are you a student looking for Scholarships or funds to carry on your educational needs? If yes, The OWWA Scholarships Scheme for Filipino Students is available for various course levels and the scholarship is offered by different universities and colleges.
The OWWA Scholarships Scheme for Filipino Students and grants are for both local and international students. So interested students should start now and search for the courses that suit them.
Applications for OWWA Scholarships Scheme for Filipino Students are now open. Just take your time and go through this post, as this article has arranged every detail you need and listed the top Nursing scholarships for national and international students.
How to Apply for OWWA Scholarships Scheme for Filipino Students
Here are some brief descriptions of the top OWWA Scholarships Scheme for Filipino Students.
OWWA Scholarships Scheme
There are two types of scholarship grants offered by OWWA:
- OFW Dependent Scholarship Program (OFWDSP) – This program can be availed by OFW dependents (siblings or children) who are planning to enroll or are already enrolled in any degree course in a state college or university of their choice, and whose OFW relative earns a monthly salary of NOT more than USD 400 in equivalent. If granted, the recipient of the scholarship will receive P20,000 in total for one whole academic year which they can use for covering their school tuition (if there is) or other academic-related fees.
- Education for Development Scholarship Program (EFDSP) – The program is open to all OFW dependents who are planning to enroll or are already enrolled in any 4- or 5-year degree course in their university of choice. The recipient will be entitled to a total of P60,000 per academic year.
What is OWWA all about?
The Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA), which is a part of the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), is the lead government agency with the tasking, protecting and promoting the welfare and well-being of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) and their dependents.
The agency has mandate Objectives of;
- Protect the interest and promote the welfare of OFWs in recognition of their valuable contribution to the overall development effort;
- Facilitate the implementation of the provisions of the Labor Code concerning the responsibility of the government to promote the well-being of OFWs;
- Provide social and welfare services to OFWs, including insurance, social work assistance, legal assistance, cultural services, and remittance services;
- Ensure the efficiency of collection and the viability and sustainability of the fund through sound and judicious investment and fund management policies;
- Undertake studies and researches for the enhancement of their social, economic, and cultural well-being; and
- Develop, support, and finance specific projects for the welfare of OFWs.
Know more about OWWA
OWWA develops and implements responsive programs and services while ensuring fund viability towards the protection of the interest and promotion of the welfare of its member-OFWs.
Basically, it’s the lead membership welfare institution that serves the interest and welfare of member-Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) that commits to funding stewardship that is transparent, judicious, and responsive to the requirements of the member-OFWs.
OWWA fund is a single trust fund pooled from the US$25.00 membership contributions of foreign employers, land-based and sea-based workers, investment and interest income, and income from other sources.
Major Challenges in Obtaining Academic Grants
One of the prevailing concerns for prospective students worldwide – at the graduate level and otherwise – is funding. With many countries still seeing rising tuition fees, alongside cuts to government-funded financial aid, obtaining sufficient funding and managing debt are often the biggest obstacles facing students who wish to pursue further education.
To start with, the cost of graduate study can be overwhelming simply to work out. Depending on the location and your circumstances, you may need to account for some or all of the following: tuition fees, semester fees, student services fees, course material expenses, food, travel, accommodation, visa, and health insurance costs, childcare, and personal expenses.
For some, there’s also the “opportunity cost” to calculate, meaning the cost of time spent taking a career break.
The good news? While costs are in many cases higher than ever, leading universities and national governments are focusing on ways to increase funding opportunities and their accessibility.
Information about Education in the Philippines
There are almost 2,300 higher education institutions in the Philippines, the majority of which are private. Many universities are affiliated with Roman Catholicism, which reflects the country’s colonial past. Of the public institutions funded by the government, the national university, the University of the Philippines, receives the most funding.
Four top universities in the Philippines are ranked among the world’s best in the QS World University Rankings 2023, with a further two featured in the QS Asia University Rankings 2023. The top four are:
- University of the Philippines: Ranked joint 367th in the World University Rankings 2023 and 75th in Asia
- Manila University: The Ateneo de Manila University is a private research university which ranks 551-600 in the world rankings and joint 95th in Asia.
- De La Salle University: Next among the top universities in the Philippines, De La Salle University (DLSU) is ranked 701-750 in the world and 134th in the latest edition of the QS Asia University Rankings.
- University of Santo Tomas: The University of Santo Tomas (UST, also known as Pontifical and Royal University of Santo Tomas, or the Catholic University of the Philippines) is ranked 701+ in the world rankings and 157th in Asia.
Not only is the Philippines a beautiful country, but it also has one of the best higher education systems in Asia, ranked 46th in the first edition of the QS Higher Education System Strength Rankings. Offering the opportunity to study in English at an affordable cost, the Philippines attracts over five thousand international students a year from across the globe, with most coming from other countries in East Asia.
All You Need To Know About The OWWA Scholarships Scheme for Filipino Students
Level/Field of study
The OWWA Scholarships Scheme for Filipino Students is available for pursuing the baccalaureate course in any college or university in the country.
The OWWA Scholarship Program is issued by OWWA which is in the Philippines.
OWWA Scholarships 2023 is open to local applicants from the Philippines who are members of OWWA.
Under the OWWA Scholarship Program, the OWWA issues out a cash grant of P30,000 per semester and pay the tuition fee directly to the university. The balance of the grants will be released to the candidate after he has submitted the grades for the semester.
Also, the selected candidate will also have access to health and accident insurance coverage of P300,000.00.
The number of offers in the OWWA Scholarship Program was not specified.
Eligibility For The OWWA Scholarships
- The following criteria must be met in order for applicants to be eligible for the OWWA Scholarship Program:
How To Apply For The OWWA Scholarships
If you’ve screened your (dependent’s) eligibility and wish to pursue the application, you will need to prepare the following required documents to proceed:
- 2 copies of the completely filled-out application form
- 2 pcs of recent 2×2 ID photos
- Any document to validate proof of relationship to the OWWA member
- For children of OFW: NSO birth certificate
- Siblings of OFW: NSO birth certificates of both the applicant and the OFW
- For OFWs who are not married: Certificate of No Marriage
- Proof of OWWA membership of OFW (i.e. official receipt of OWWA contribution or a copy of the OWWA verification sheet)
- Form 137 for incoming college freshmen or the official transcript of records (TOR)/Grade Certificate for those already enrolled in college.
- Medical certification/clearance with proof of physical fitness (Form 2A)
- Certificate of Good Moral Character (Form 2B)
- 2 copies of the school principal’s certification of the student’s academic distinction (to prove that the applicant belongs to the upper 20% of the class) – Form 2C
- A written statement of the parent/s specifying that the applicant has never taken the OWWA qualifying exams; has not gained substantial unit(s) in any degree course; and that the applicant does not benefit from any existing scholarship grant at the time of application. – Form 2D
- Written statement coming from the applicant specifying that he/she has neither applied for resident/immigrant status in other countries nor hold a dual citizen status, assigned and authorized by his/her parents. – Form 2E
As always, make sure that you have gathered all necessary requirements and documents prior to your application in the nearest OWWA regional office.
You can begin the application by clicking on the OWWA Scholarship Program Online Application
Application Deadline For OWWA Scholarships 2023:
Currently, this OWWA Scholarships Scheme for Filipino Students is currently Ongoing for Philippines students. Applications close in May 2023