How Many Kids Get The Gates Scholarship?
How many kids get the Gates scholarship award yearly? Due to the Gates Scholarship fully funded policy. Many would wonder how many applicants stand a chance to get the scholarship. However, this post gives you in-depth knowledge of all that you need to know about the number of awardees yearly and what they need to do to get the Gates Scholarship. Being the dream of every bright student.
The Gates Scholarship
The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation announced the program in 2017 and launched it in 2018, to provide 3,000 students with scholarships over ten years.
Minority students who aspire to pursue higher education are the target audience for the scholarship.
The Gates Scholarship’s main goal is to boost the proportion of underrepresented minorities in all fields of study.
However, the initiative seeks to create a diverse group of future leaders for America by providing excellent academics with better educational options.
Furthermore, the Gates Scholarship is very extensive and rich when compared to other remarkable business scholarships.
It provides a vast framework of support, direction, and mentoring in addition to financing.
Services Provided by the Gates Scholarship to Winners
The overall services provided by the Gates Scholarship include the following:
- Renewable educational funding: The scholarship covers any unmet needs and self-help aid for a maximum of five years.
In other words, it would pay the Cost of Attendance expenditures instead of taking out loans and doing a work-study job.
- Services provided to scholarship recipients include academic support, mentoring, expert counsel and direction, and assistance with financial literacy.
- The amount of grants and/or scholarships you have received, as well as the cost of attendance (including housing and board, tuition, fees, books, and personal expenditures).
Note: How long you can renew the scholarship will also affect how much aid you receive overall.
You can continue to receive money for a bachelor’s degree program for up to five years as long as you complete renewal requirements each year.
Number of the Gates Scholarship Winners Annually
The total number of yearly applicants does not equate to the number that usually gets the awards.
However, the Gates Scholarship Foundation only awards a total of 300 students to study in the United State annually.
Outstanding minority high school graduates from low-income families are eligible for The Gates Scholarship (TGS), a highly selective, last-dollar prize.
A last-dollar scholarship can help high-potential, low-income minority students succeed in their coursework, graduate from college, and continue to be leaders throughout their life.
The Gates Scholarship Eligible Applicants
To apply, students must:
- Must be a senior in high school
- At least one of the aforementioned racial groups: American Indian/Alaska Native*, Asian & Pacific Islander, African-American, Hispanic, or
- Must be a national of the US, a citizen, or a permanent resident
- Such applicants are in excellent standing academically with a cumulative weighted GPA of no less than 3.3 on a scale of 4.0. (or equivalent).
Many would wonder why the Gates Scholarship awards such a considerable number, compared to the number of students who applied for the scholarship annually.
However, this post did gives the exact number of students who usually get awarded having met all the needed criteria.