Another great window of opportunity has opened up for young and intellectually bright African research scholars to travel out to the United States of America. This opportunity, which is a Fulbright South African Research Scholar Program fully-funded scholarship in South Africa, will allow scholars to carry out research in their fields of expertise in U.S research institutes for about three to nine months.
This type of fully-funded research grant award from Fulbright gives qualified and successful candidates the opportunity to carry out high-level research at a U.S educational institute aimed at strengthening academic programs or curricula at their home institutions.
Additionally, candidates that want to apply for the grant program will be required to show a proven track record of academic excellence, research, and publications. Although, candidates with doctorate degrees, three years of teaching experience, and those whose projects are related to their teaching or ongoing research, would be preferred more.
Interestingly, eligible candidates will have another great opportunity to apply for the Fulbright – Emory Distinguished Chair Scholar Award. This scholar award is fully funded by the Halle Institute for Global Research. Chairholders will be granted the opportunity to spend up to four months at Emory University doing field-based research projects. Not just that, chairholders give lectures and engage with faculty and students across the institution.
The fulbright scholarship research program is a research fellowship that awards grants and scholarships to qualified foreign academic scholars. Not only academic scholars but also research professionals to carry out advanced research projects in the United States research institutes. More so, there are two categories of grants that can be offered by the Fulbright scholar program. They include Research grants and program and Curriculum Development grants.
Fulbright Scholar Program provides these grants to over eight hundred and fifty foreign scholars from over one hundred countries around the world. The purpose of this is to bring in the best brains in diverse fields to the united states to conduct post-doctoral research for either a semester or for a full academic year.The successful candidates get to stay in the United States, conducting research for a period of three to six months, or six months to a year.
Type of opportunity:
Type of scholarship:
United States of America
Eligibility for Fulbright South African Research Scholar Program:
To be eligible for the Fulbright scholar grant, there are certain requirements and benchmarks that you must meet. These requirements will not only make you eligible but will also place you in a position for quick selection.
- You must be a South African citizen, have lived in South Africa for a minimum of 5 years, or hold a South African permanent residency. In contrast, citizens of South Africa that hold dual citizenship in South Africa and America are not eligible.
- You must possess a doctoral degree or equivalent professional degree for a chance to benefit from this.
- Also, you must be proficient in the English Language for you to carry out projects smoothly and collaborate well with your colleagues. It is not necessary that you write TOEFL exams. But the United States government and the Fulbright scholarship body reserves the right to test your English proficiency if they need to.
- You must be in sound health and submit your medical history and health examination report.
- Candidates who have never received a Fulbright Scholar grant are at an advantage.
- You stand a higher chance to get selected if you do not have any prior experience in the United States of America.
- It is possible for you to reapply if at first, you were not successful. However, you must obtain current letters of reference, revise your proposals and update your C.V.
- You must belong to a local research institute or university that has research objectives.
- Scholars in all disciplines can apply. However, clinical medical research that involves patient contact will not be approved under the Fulbright program.
- Applications for Doctoral dissertation research, post-doctoral research immediately following the completion of a doctorate degree, or general professional travel are ineligible.
Generally, there are benefits that follow a successful selection in the scholarship program. Nevertheless, these benefits vary according to programs.
- Monthly stipends based on the cost of living at the research site
- To and fro flight fee for the grantee
- Medical aid for the duration of the program
- Allowance for books, study materials, seminars, and conferences
- Excess baggage allowance for return travel
- Round trip airfare for one dependent accompanying the grantee for a minimum period of 80% on an 8-9 grant month
- Monthly stipend for dependent accompanying the grantee
- Setting in allowance upon arrival in the U.S
How to apply:
- Firstly, You need to fill out the application form and submit it through an online application portal. Also, you should submit all your required documents the same way.
- You need to submit a well-written proposal that explains your methods plainly and straight to the point.
- Submit three confidential reference letters. These letters must be submitted by your referees through the online application system. The guidelines on how to register your referees are included in the country information section of the application.
- Note that the scholarship body will not accept letters of reference that were sent through email or post.
- A letter of invitation from a U.S host institution is strongly encouraged but not required.
- Applicants are discouraged from requesting affiliation with an alma mater. However, the scholarship body will honour institutional affiliation preferences as far as possible.
- More so, applicants unfamiliar with U.S institutions may request that the scholarship body identify suitable institution placement.
- Applicants should know that labouratory fees are not part of the standard benefits package for the Fulbright SARSP and are awarded on a limited, case-by-case basis. That is if only funding is available.
Closing date for application: May 1, 2023
Lastly, Fulbright South African Research scholarship program is among the best program designed for scholars to attain their research dreams in a well-developed country like the United States of America.
We help you stay updated on the ongoing and new scholarships around the world.